3 Salsas to Spice Up Your Sunday

Leave a Comment
Sometimes being a 20-something fresh out of college leaves you with a predicament of not knowing how to function in the real world. If I go out on Thirsty Thursday, can I still blend in with the college crowd? Is it okay for me to wear a t-shirt and sweatpants every day? How do I eat without declining balance on my student card? These are questions that secretly run through our young minds. Luckily for me, I made the leap of leaving the dorm life and transitioning into the "real world" the summer before my Junior  year of college. I moved into an apartment with three other roommates, got a job that actually didn't involve greasy food and paid a few quarters more than minimum wage, and started learning how to actually make edible food. One of the things that I learned to make was a few different variations of salsas. On Sundays, I typically don't feel like making anything crazy so I munch on salsa most of the day. Here are a couple of salsa recipes for the other salsa lovers in this world! Enjoy!

Meag's Corn and Black Bean Salsa

Ingredients: 
1 can of sweet yellow corn (drained and rinsed)
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans of Rotel (I like Mild with the green chilies but it's up to you! Don't drain the Rotel)
Handful of Cilantro (diced)
1 tablespoon of Cumin
Squeezed lime juice for 1 lime
(Just a tablespoon of lime juice is fine if you don't have any limes around)
Mix all ingredients into one big bowl and you're good to go!
Meag's Corn and Black Bean Salsa! Made some fresh today for my lazy Sunday on a rain day. It's so good that I'll actually eat the leftovers as a "side" with grilled chicken for lunch the next day or top a little on a salad.

Smooth Mild Salsa

You'll need a blender for this one.
Ingredients: 
2 large can of diced tomatoes 
2 tablespoons of vinegar
2 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoon of cumin
Handful of Cilantro to top off the blender

Add all ingredients into a blender and blend! 
Pretty simple, right? It's smooth and hits the spot. Sometimes we'll add diced onion to it, but it's up to you. I prefer it without, but Kyle loves it. 


Cool Buzz (for the sour cream lovers!)

You'll need blender for this one too. 
Ingredients: 
1 16 oz. tub of sour cream
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of dark chili powder
1 whole chipotle pepper
1 tablespoon of the chipotle pepper sauce from it's can 

Blend away until it looks smooth! Okay, I'll admit, when you hear "salsa," you're thinking tomatoes need to be in there somewhere, right? Maybe this is cheating, but you'll definitely try to replace your traditional salsa with this one when you're feeling that creamy vibe. Don't be deceived by the hotness you're adding in because the sour cream will really tone it down and make it irresistible. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment